Shale shaker is a very important equipment that is used in the first stage separation of drilling liquids and the solid materials obtained from drilling oil, gas or water wells. This shale shaker consists of a shaker screen that does the separation process.
Brandt Shaker Screen comes in various types and different mesh sizes. Its two main types are the hook type and pretension type. Also the amount and the size of the solid that will get separated depends upon the size of the mesh.
Because of its importance, it is very important that the shaker screen is cleaned regularly. Cleaning it regularly will increase its efficiency and will delay the wear and tear of the mesh.
Various methods of cleaning the screen are;
1) Self Cleaning:
– This methodology involves the use of small folded or creased wires.
– These wires are arranged on a surface in such a way that small gaps are created resulting in a mesh like structure. This is usually supported using Support bars so that they are free to vibrate. These vibrations prevent the blocking or jamming of the mesh.
2) Water based cleaning:
– In this method a high pressure water pipe is used that cleans the screen by pouring water on it at a very high speed. This is a very traditional method that cleans the screen when less cleaning is required.
3) Screen cleaning machines:
– These machines are fully enclosed machines. The screen is placed inside this machine where a powerful water gun, releasing water at a very high pressure, is used that cleans the screen.
– The advantage of this machine is that it is fully automatic and no effort is needed at the workers part.
– Also this machine reduces the time required for cleaning a screen there by increasing the overall cost effectiveness.
Brandt shaker screen replacement of Kosun for a competitor’s device.The alternative screen manufactured by Kosun is used in the competitor’s shale oscillator to combine the proven grid combination with an innovative diamond pattern board to improve the efficiency of the vibrating screen while extending the screen life.
These manufactured replacement Brandt shaker screens are designed to meet the exact design specifications of the competitor’s shale shaker and can be mounted directly on the device using an inventory wedge.The alternative screen made by BRANDT has a variety of grid combinations that are ideal for drilling applications.
Brandt shaker screen replancement by Kosun with high quality and more than 20 years experience in this aspect.
Any machinery will give its best performance if maintained properly, so a preventive measure is a prerequisite if an operator wants to ensure the long life of the machinery. While routine services will take place as part of your preventive maintenance, there is something that operators themselves will be able to take care of and be rewarded with even better results. A simple way is to keep the machinery clean.
In solid control equipment, shaker screen performs that key job of eliminating the solids through the screen. So it is imperative that they are prone to damage if not kept properly clean and that will naturally increase the overall project cost.
Here are some ways to keep the shaker screen clean and safe:
• If the shaker has been idle for some time, it is important that the shaker screen be cleaned before the use. To clean the shale shaker screen, the best way is to use water gun or water hose.
• Usage of wire brush will actually damage the mesh, so stay clear of brushes in your cleaning process.
• The shaker screen constantly sieves the waste material and likely to get clogged with waste material and as a result the screen holes will be blinded and hamper the process if filtration. To clean the blinded screen holes, use the water hose from back side. You could consider removing the larger particles manually, but never with a brush or stick, as the mesh of the screen is prone to be torn in the process if you use any of these.
• Make sure that the screens are not left with the drilling waste i.e. drill cuttings and mud to be dried while in the screen. This will invariably lead to a pre-mature failure of the equipment.
• Never allow any worn out rubbers to be used in the equipment, this directly lowers the performance of the equipment and damages the shaker screen.
• Do not allow any other material to be placed over the shaker screens, either in function or in storage.
With these basic cleaning procedures, you could ensure a longer life for the shaker screen.
American Petroleum Institute has laid down the guidelines for solid control systems in drilling industry. However, the main purpose of this standardization was to provide the end user with a fair idea of what they are investing their money into, when the purchase a certain type of shaker screens.
Now, before we delve into the benchmarking by API, let us give you an overview of what the shaker screen is or why is it that important to be researched about?
Drilling is widely used activity in oil and gas industry, to obtain deep seated fossil fuel to fulfill the fuel requirement across the globe, and that makes this industry quite enormous. The drilling operations are carried out on hard ground surface or on the ocean surface. In the entire drilling process, one of the main challenges is the handling of the drilling waste , it is called solid control system. The drilling waste mainly consists of drilling cuttings (solid) and drilling fluid (mud). Now the drill cuttings are nothing but the rock shavings and other hard particles that are extracted during drilling, the drilling fluid is a mixture of different chemicals and oil or water. The drilling fluid is quite expensive substance and is added to the drilling process to help drilling waste equipments lubricated and cool, besides other things.
API being one of the largest trading group of US in drilling industry, has set up certain industry standards to test the quality of shaker screens, that are respected worldwide. Based on these tests, they have labeled different shaker screens sizes that approved by ISO, and encourage the manufacturers to use those labels on the product to enable the end user for a fair comparison before purchase.
While quality of different shaker screens cannot alone assure its performance, as the actual performance, in terms of conductance and life, will depend on a variety of aspects. To name a few – Handling of shaker screen, installation and replacement, appropriate tensioning, deck rubbers, storage and cleaning, volume of mud and solids, etc.
Shaker Screens are used in Shale Shakers as part of solid control system in drilling operations of various industries, such as oil and gas drilling, mining, coal cleaning, etc. They primarily serve the purpose of separating drilling cuttings from the drilling fluids.
A shaker screen is the key component in shale shaker equipment. They function as a sieve to block the solid drilling waste and let the precious drilling fluid to be carried to a separate channel for further treatment.
Drilling fluid is a cocktail of number of chemicals that help in the drilling process. Drilling fluid is prepared in two variations – water based and oil based, and they are very costly to obtain. They serve as lubricant agent to keep the drilling waste management equipment efficiently functioning. They keep the drilling bit cool and clean to penetrate deeper into the borehole. And because of these reasons, operators invest in technologies to lower their overall operational cost and also for the environmental purpose. Shale Shaker are one such equipment to achieve that goal.
Shaker Screens have two integral parts – a screen Panel and a screen Mesh. A screen panel will hold the mesh in place, to efficiently serve its purpose. It is much like a larger frame that holds smaller sections of the mesh with help of intersections. The frame itself comes in different material and shape. One key differentiator among them is the area of mesh between these intersection, that could be utilized for the screening. These intersections are known as “blanking”. The lower the blanking better the shaker screen’s performance.
The screen mesh could be understood as a piece of cloth woven with the wires to form fine rectangular openings. The screen mesh comes into variety in terms of its durability and conductance. Then there is a binding agent that joins the screen panel with the screen mesh.
The most modern development in shaker screen field is introduction 3D screen technology.