Shale shaker screens come in variety of sizes and shapes based upon shale shaker’s make and model. A Rectangular Heavy Duty Shaker Screen is mainly used for handling heavy solid drilling cuttings taken out during oil field drilling projects.
Shale shaker screens with high quality low price was attacted by clients around the world. Shaker screen design is unique inthis industry.
Drilling as such is widely used not only in oil and gas industry but in mining and coal cleaning industries also. Wherever the project demands handling heavy duty solid drilling waste management system , rectangular heavy duty shaker screens are deployed for use.
The main purpose of using shale shaker equipment is to separate out the drilling fluid from drilling solids i.e. drilling waste cuttings.
A Rectangular Heavy Duty Shaker screen uses two layers of finely knitted mesh material and one layer of a coarse mesh to enable the handling of the heavy duty solid waste to provide it better durability and better conductance.
There had been number of incidents where during the solid control system process, while shale shaker was deployed to separate drilling cuttings from drilling fluid, some thicker parts of solid would get stuck in the circulation and make their way through multiple layers of mesh of the shaker screen and over time burst the shaker screen’s mesh cloth. To prevent such incidents, rectangular heavy duty shaker screens came into existence.
RHD shaker screens follow proprietary multi layered technology, that enhances the overall permissibility of drilling fluid through the screen with much less resistance, which naturally enhances the performance of shale shaker equipment.
The shaker screens in RHD line are available in different variations, based on the particulate size they allow to permit through and these are standardized by the America Petroleum Institute through their labeling practice. API has labeled different shaker screens based on the holes size distribution measured with the help of light.
As the technology advances, the drilling industry is all set to go through much more modernized with start to finish automation.
American Petroleum Institute has laid down the guidelines for solid control systems in drilling industry. However, the main purpose of this standardization was to provide the end user with a fair idea of what they are investing their money into, when the purchase a certain type of shaker screens.
Now, before we delve into the benchmarking by API, let us give you an overview of what the shaker screen is or why is it that important to be researched about?
Drilling is widely used activity in oil and gas industry, to obtain deep seated fossil fuel to fulfill the fuel requirement across the globe, and that makes this industry quite enormous. The drilling operations are carried out on hard ground surface or on the ocean surface. In the entire drilling process, one of the main challenges is the handling of the drilling waste , it is called solid control system. The drilling waste mainly consists of drilling cuttings (solid) and drilling fluid (mud). Now the drill cuttings are nothing but the rock shavings and other hard particles that are extracted during drilling, the drilling fluid is a mixture of different chemicals and oil or water. The drilling fluid is quite expensive substance and is added to the drilling process to help drilling waste equipments lubricated and cool, besides other things.
API being one of the largest trading group of US in drilling industry, has set up certain industry standards to test the quality of shaker screens, that are respected worldwide. Based on these tests, they have labeled different shaker screens sizes that approved by ISO, and encourage the manufacturers to use those labels on the product to enable the end user for a fair comparison before purchase.
While quality of different shaker screens cannot alone assure its performance, as the actual performance, in terms of conductance and life, will depend on a variety of aspects. To name a few – Handling of shaker screen, installation and replacement, appropriate tensioning, deck rubbers, storage and cleaning, volume of mud and solids, etc.
As it goes with any project operations, many a times the disaster will take place because of very basic things were overlooked or not taken care of. So prevention is better than the cure, following this philosophy, let us outline for you a few tips that could make you shaker screen last longer than you imagined:
1. A shaker screen is the most critical component of shale shaker , as it plays an important role in separating the solid from fluid. If the shaker screen let the large solid pieces pass through the screen, chances are that they will end up chocking the whole equipment and making your project operation to halt in no time. So make sure that you select the most optimum screen size.
2. Timely preventive supervision of any shaker screens will go a long way in preventing any lasting damage to the equipment itself. The moment any wear and tear is spotted in the screen, even any blockage, consider taking it off and either clean it thoroughly before replacing or go for a new one altogether if the screen is not in good condition or reusable.
3. Do not use sticks or brushes while cleaning the shaker screen, also make sure that you don’t end up using extra high pressure water guns to clear the screen holes, as it might be harmful for finer meshes.
4. Mishandling may also cause damage to shaker screen during Storage. As storage of shaker screens is often times the most overlooked aspect. The screens storage in a way that prevents them from friction or jerks that might cause them to be torn away.
5. The overall functioning of the equipment is also an important aspect, make sure that the deck rubbers are properly installed and not worn out. Also look at the condition of shaker basket.
6. Always go for API conformed shaker screens only as to ensure the quality of your screen.
Shaker Screens are used in Shale Shakers as part of solid control system in drilling operations of various industries, such as oil and gas drilling, mining, coal cleaning, etc. They primarily serve the purpose of separating drilling cuttings from the drilling fluids.
A shaker screen is the key component in shale shaker equipment. They function as a sieve to block the solid drilling waste and let the precious drilling fluid to be carried to a separate channel for further treatment.
Drilling fluid is a cocktail of number of chemicals that help in the drilling process. Drilling fluid is prepared in two variations – water based and oil based, and they are very costly to obtain. They serve as lubricant agent to keep the drilling waste management equipment efficiently functioning. They keep the drilling bit cool and clean to penetrate deeper into the borehole. And because of these reasons, operators invest in technologies to lower their overall operational cost and also for the environmental purpose. Shale Shaker are one such equipment to achieve that goal.
Shaker Screens have two integral parts – a screen Panel and a screen Mesh. A screen panel will hold the mesh in place, to efficiently serve its purpose. It is much like a larger frame that holds smaller sections of the mesh with help of intersections. The frame itself comes in different material and shape. One key differentiator among them is the area of mesh between these intersection, that could be utilized for the screening. These intersections are known as “blanking”. The lower the blanking better the shaker screen’s performance.
The screen mesh could be understood as a piece of cloth woven with the wires to form fine rectangular openings. The screen mesh comes into variety in terms of its durability and conductance. Then there is a binding agent that joins the screen panel with the screen mesh.
The most modern development in shaker screen field is introduction 3D screen technology.
A shale shaker screen is an integral part of the drilling process as it directly contributes to the efficiency of solid control equipment. If not handled properly it may lead to a premature failure or damage of the shale shaker screens which could result in loss of resources as well as monetary loss for the operators. Thus it is very important to understand the proper installation process of a shaker screen in a shale shaker.
Let us take you through the shaker screen installation process one step at a time. The very first step in the process will be to shut down the equipment completely, unplug the power and wait for the equipment to come to a stationary position. Step two will be to clean the equipment that will hold the screen in place, in case you replacing the older ones, or want to just clean and refit the same screen, make sure the screen and the equipment is in clean condition and also look out for any wear and tear of screws or straps that holds to keeps the shaker screens in place. After this the third and final step is to mount the shaker screen panel onto the shaker deck and slid it toward the equipment to fit into the slot. Make sure that the draw bolts are unlocked beforehand and ready to engage with the screen panel’s feed end. Fasten all the screws and nuts back into the place.
The size and shape of shaker screen will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and so will the fashion in which they will be mounted. Few popular examples are, Hook Strap Screen, Wedge Blocked Screen, Steel framed screen or composite frame screen. Each will essentially be different only in the way they are fastened to the shale shaker deck.
In the past, countries and manufacturers developed screen panels with their own specifications and placed them on the market. Users chose screen panels for the price without understanding them, just look for shaker screens for sale. The lack of credible criteria and disparities in the market confounded shaker screen end-users.
The American Petroleum Institute (API) standardizes criteria and regulations that streamline identification of screen panels in the industry. API unravels the mystery behind screen technology to provide industry standard specifications that make it easier for users to choose the right equipment for their work. By doing so, they have put in place international standards to regulate solid control. So now we should choose the shale shaker screen manufacturers who passed API certifications, and then the shaker screens for sale is acceptable.
• Cutting Point Testing
The API RP 13C uses dry aluminum oxide sieves to determine the size of particles that can be separated by a screen. The test is not a performance indicator but a characterization of mesh openings.
• Measure of Conductance
It measures fluid permeability per unit thickness using Darcy’s law. The test determines the ability of a fluid to pass through the screen at a predetermined pressure drop.
• Efficiency Testing
The API RP 13C screen efficiency testing does not measure performance; it characterizes screen openings. It uses aluminum oxide grit on a Ro-Tap sieve shaker to determine conductance and provide a description of the openings in the screen.
• API Standard Screen Labeling
The API standard screen labelling is done to ensure that the equipment is compliant to international standards. The regulatory body requires that the label applied to the screen be
– Adhere to established guidelines.
The API standards is a God-send for shaker screen end users. Kosun has 24 years manufacturing experience in oilfiled driling mud separation and solid control system, and lucky is they offering shaker screens for sale recently, but only in several shale shaker screen sizes.
It has demystified specifications and streamlined the shaker screen market. Users are assured when they know that the equipment they are buying is ISO certified and meets international standards.
If you initiate a process right, you get quality results. Shaker screens play a vital role in the initial stage of a solid control system. If the Shaker screen is right then you can rest assured that the process is on the right track.
As innovation continues to grow and technology advances further, man makes new discoveries and improves on what existed before. Likewise, the shaker screen has undergone modifications, improvements and witnessed new introductions. There are many types of shaker screens on the market.
Some Types Shale Shaker Screens
1. Derrick Shaker Screens
There are two kinds of Derrick shaker screens
i. The Flat Screen (PWD)
This is the older Derrick shaker screen model. It is less expensive compared to the Pyramid Shaker Screen.
ii. The Pyramid Shaker Screen
This is an improved model of the Flat Screen. Has a higher drilling fluid handling capacity and is more effective than the Flat screen one.
2. Hookstrip Flat Screen
The Hookstrip Flat Screen has vibrating screens which facilitate sorting, sizing up and sieving. It is commonly used by drillers. The 2 to 3 layers of hookstrip and the plastic reinforcing used in the layered screens enhance screen protection.
3. Steel Frame Screen
This screen is commonly used in the industry. It is made of 2 to 3 layers of stainless steel tightly bound to the frame which makes it strong. Rubber plugs can be used to mend gaps or breaks. This makes the screen cost effective.
4. Composite Screen
The composite screen is an improved version of the Steel frame. This shaker screen is lighter, more durable and can with stand high temperatures.
5. Hookstrip Soft Shaker Screen
This is the shaker screen that was used in early days. It has been overtaken by newer models.
As a professional, understanding the task entailed in the drilling work will inform your choice of a screen.
Equipment comes in all kinds of design and industry specifications. Research discovers gaps that innovation seeks to bridge. In solid control system, the shaker screen has over time been improved to enhance its durability, capacity and efficiency. The Rectangular Heavy Duty (RHD) shaker screen is an improvement of the square design.
The Brandt Rectangular Heavy Duty (RHD) shaker screens combine 2 layers of heavy duty rectangular mesh and one layer of coarse mesh to enhance the screen durability. The strong rectangular design is more effective in curbing fluid loss compared to the square model. This series of shaker screens minimizes plugging incidences and resists blinding even under more strenuous circumstances. The RHD series of shaker screens is reputed to maintain its integrity and standard better compared to square designs.
Lost Circulating Material (LCM) has a tendency to infiltrate some double and triple layered screens. The LCM can accumulate on some screens thereby causing the swelling and bursting of the mesh screen. The RHD shaker screen was developed to mitigate this shortcoming. It is more efficient in separating LCM materials. The series has an enhanced capacity to minimize fluid loss while maintaining its integrity in solid control system. Compared to square shaker screens the Rectangular Heavy Duty shaker screens are preferred for the following reasons
• Superior capacity throughput.
• Efficiency in separating Lost Circulating materials such as fibres
• Resistance to blinding
• Ability to minimize plugging
• Removal of fine solids
Modern technology continues to improve equipment and come up with better models. Technology has brought what was impossible before within reach. With the help of technology, you can find out current information about any equipment that you wish to use. Ignore technology at your own peril. Rely on technology to choose the ideal shaker screen for your solid control system.
Shaker screen is one of the most important part of shale shaker. Its main function is to separate the mixture of drilling fluid and the solids from the holes. It comprises of a screen frame that can of steel or plastic material, screen mesh that resembles woven thread like structure and a binding material that binds the frame and the mesh.
The size of the solids that will be separated, depends on the size of the screen.
The two types of screen types are;
1) Hook Strip – It is available with metal lining of different sizes that matches with the screen mesh. Because of the accurate matching, screen life is greatly improved, decreasing the need to replace it frequently, thereby making it cost effective. It is also known as backing screen.
2) Pretensioned – It provides with greater capacity screening and improved screen life.
The quality of shaker screen depend on number of factors such as;
1) Material used for the Mesh:
– Most common material that is used for the screen is stainless steel. This stainless steel must be corrosion and rust resistant. Different manufactures use different qualities of steel for mesh and also their mesh weaving techniques are different.
2) Number of mesh layers:
– The greater the number of layers of the mesh, greater is its strength and durability. In another words, quality of a shaker screen can also be determined by the number of layers it has.
3) Screening Area:
– Quality can be compared on the basis of how large is the screening area that is amount of mixture that can be filtered in minimum possible time.
– Also, greater the screening area, the load on the mesh will be distributed more that will reduce the wear and tear of mesh, increasing its life.
Welcome to contact us! We are looking forward to cooperation with you.
Solid control is a method to separate solids that are mixed while drilling. The solid control technique is a five stage technique. The solid control equipment that are used are Shale Shaker, Vacuum degasser, desilter, desander and centrifuge.
A shale Shaker is used in the first step because it separates the biggest solids that are present in the mixture. Here when the mud mixture is passed through the Shaker Screen (A mesh that separates the solids), filtered mud is obtained on the other side, in a mud tank. The size of separation of the mixture depends on the size of mesh used in the Shaker Screen.
A shale shaker comprises of the following parts;
– A feeder that is a type of pan into which the mixture is first fed.
– Screen that separates the mixture.
– A vibrator that is a device that gives vibratory force to the screen.
The two types of Shale Shakers are;
1) Shale shaker that works on the concept of Linear Motion: It is mainly used in oil and gas drilling. Its advantage is that it is fast and can handle heavy load.
2) Shale shaker that works on the concept of Balanced Elliptical motion: It has higher retention time than Linear Motion.
Functions of Shale Shaker:
– Its main function is to remove maximum solids from the mixture. This will not only improve the efficiency of the drilling machine, but will also reduce the load on the subsequent equipment.
– It minimizes the wastage that may be caused sometimes while separating the fluids from solids. This will save our precious natural resources.
– It’s another function is to separate the mixture in such a way that the fluid that is recovered can be reused efficiently and its quality is maintained.
Some examples of Shale shakers are;
– MONGOOSE PRO shale shaker that is equipped with dual motion technology and MD-2, Dual and triple Deck shale shaker that boasts of new innovative screen technology.